[Slackbuilds-users] Jack policy

Klaatu klaatu at member.fsf.org
Mon Nov 25 16:48:12 UTC 2019

On Sunday, November 24, 2019 02:38:01 PM Franzen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as there is no 'or/||' possible in the REQUIRES tag, installing package
> "a" with REQUIRES=jack-audio-connection-kit
> and then installing package "b" with REQUIRES=jack2 will end with a
> broken jack, as jack-audio-connection-kit and jack2
> are conflicting packages. Details at
> https://github.com/jackaudio/jackaudio.github.com/wiki/Q_difference_jack1_ja
> ck2
>
> Grepping throus SBo git shows
>
> slackbuilds> find . -type f -iname '*info' -exec grep -H REQUIRES '{}' +
>
> | grep jack-audio-connection-kit  | wc -l
>
> 73
> slackbuilds> find . -type f -iname '*info' -exec grep -H REQUIRES '{}' +
>
> | grep jack2  | wc -l
>
> 6
>
> If i change my builds to jack-audio-connection-kit, then there will only
> be two builds left with dep on jack2, namely
> MuseScore and lives.
> If their maintainers have no problem with jack-audio-connection-kit,
> maybe jack-audio-connection-kit could
> be handled as default jack on SBo?
>
> Johannes

I've been struggling with this on SBo for years. Last time I asked this list,
the consensus was to just make a note in the README that *either* jack-audio-
blah or jack2 were required.

My thought was to just specify that "jack" is required, and let the user
decide whether to install 'jack-audio-connection-kit' or 'jack2', but I guess
that's a little too much like a "meta package".

I wouldn't mind using jack2 as the default for SBo, if we're voting on the
subject. I've used Jack2 since 2014 at least, and I've not run into problems
with ALSA, JACK, or MIDI. However, I only use software MIDI (input through USB
controllers) so I can't speak for physical [actual] MIDI interfaces.  Even so,
it's nearly 2020, and I feel like "most" users could safely default to jack2.
The people connection daisy chains of MIDI synths directly to the back of
their computer can fallback on jack-audio-connection-kit.