[Slackbuilds-users] How am I to handle two Apache Ant versions?

Luc Van Rompaey luc.vanrompaey at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 20:32:11 UTC 2019

I have recently taken up maintenance of the apache-ant SlackBuild.

The "apache-ant" SlackBuild currently installs Apache Ant 1.9.14, which is
the latest release of the 1.9.x development line. It can be used without
further prerequisites on Slackware 14.2, in which case it will work with
the Java5 runtime provided by GCC.

There is also an Apache Ant 1.10.x line, which the developers recommend.
However, this version requires at least a Java8 runtime and, consequently,
it will have (at least) OpenJDK 8 as a prerequisite.

I would like, therefore, to provide a SlackBuild for each of these two Ant
development lines, pretty much similar to the three OpenJDK versions that
are available in SlackBuilds: openjdk6, openjdk7, and openjdk8.

Like the OpenJDK versions, I would, thus, append some indication of the Ant
version to the SlackBuild (and also the resulting Slackware package) name.

My idea would be, to replace the current "apache-ant" SlackBuild with, say,
"apache-ant-1.9" and to submit a new SlackBuild, e.g., "apache-ant-1.10".

Would this be a correct way to proceed? If so, would "apache-ant-1.9" and
"apache-ant-1.10" be acceptable as SlackBuild (and Slackware package)
names?

Thanks in advance for any comments,
Luc Van Rompaey.