[Slackbuilds-users] Unmaintained builds - want any of these?

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Thu Jan 2 22:38:02 UTC 2020

On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 17:11:11 +0000
sborg63 <sborg63 at disroot.org> wrote:

> With respect to the dump list:
>
> You want to keep 'network/vpnc' ; it is a dependency of
> NetworkManager-vpnc and by the looks of it at its 'latest' (since
> 2008) implementation with the source downloadable from SlackBuilds
> (http://ponce.cc/slackware/sources/repo/vpnc-r550.tar.xz). It's needed
> for connectivity to cisco controlled vpn (like at my work).

Point taken; I personally assumed maintainership of vpnc's build.

> Please do not dump 'academic/gcalctool', it is at its
> latest version (19 may 2019) -so appears to be maintained- and the
> desktop calculator to use for people who want to ignore kde.
>
> Although 'office/xournal' seems superseded by xournalff (the latter
> is based on the former and developed by another team); it had a
> version upgrade to 0.4.8 in 2016/17 ( it just needs changing the
> version no's in the SlackBuild and info to compile; latest source
> archive is xournal-0.4.8.2016.tar.gz). Xournal is simpler and with
> less/other dependencies than xournalff.

For the sake of clarity, it's not that they're necessarily in
an unmaintained state *upstream* -- it's that *we* (SBo) do not
have an active maintainer for the build script.

If you use gcalctool and/or xournal, those would be good
candidates for you to assume maintainership :-)

-RW