[Slackbuilds-users] Unmaintained builds - want any of these?

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Fri Jan 3 00:59:32 UTC 2020

On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 19:23:49 -0500
Judah Milgram <milgram at cgpp.com> wrote:

> (1) Surprising to see anacron on death row. I consider it a
> must-have. Is there a better option nowadays? If so, I want to hear
> about it! If not, I'll take it on.

It's yours in my git branch now; thanks!

> (2) For clarity, what are the criteria for marking a script for
> deletion?
>
>      (a) target software has been updated but script not updated?
>
>      (b) maintainer is missing in action?
>
>      (c) script is broken and nobody's fixing it?
>
>      (d) other, or some combination?

Great questions, and those probably should have been answered in
the original mail, so here goes...

The criteria for this batch was (supposed to be) as follows:
  1) SBo maintainer has not made a commit in five years or more
  2) nothing else in the repo depends on these

As we've already seen, something in my script was broken, because
item #2 definitely was not met in all of them.

We also know that there are false positives in here; as an example,
desktop/afterstep/ has not seen a release in quite some time but
still works *and* the SBo maintainer is still active (Leo contacted
me via alternate means), so I removed it from the list.

>      Regarding (a) and (b): if it's not broken, it works... just
> saying.

Well, yes, and that's pretty much been our default handling over the
years, as we've fixed things as needed during the leadup to each new
Slackware release. While we know that we'll continue to have to do
that from time to time, and nobody's complaining about it, we also
know that with >7000 scripts in the repo, it's not reasonable for us
to continue to carry stuff that, in effect, nobody cares about enough
to maintain.

This recent effort might not pare down more than a few hundred scripts,
but it's still a net win, because that's a few hundred that we don't
have to touch again :-)

-RW