[Slackbuilds-users] Pixma driver module for Canon scanner

Christoph Willing chris.willing at linux.com
Fri Jan 10 04:55:59 UTC 2020

On 10/1/20 10:22 am, Rich Shepard wrote:
> I sent this directly to Chris but it was rejected.

Sorry about that - I don't know why

> I bought a Canon CanoScan LiDE 400. The SANE supported devices page says
> it's completely supported using the pixma module.

I think they're referring to their own (sane-pixma) "module" in their
software, not an actual kernel module.

> I just built and installed your pixma SBo package.
>
> sane-find-scanner shows
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x2e04, product=0xc025) at libusb:001:028
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon], product=0x1912 [LiDE 400]) at
> libusb:001:032
>
> scanimage -L shows
> No scanners were identified.
>
> modprobe cannot load the module:
> # modprobe pixma
> modprobe: FATAL: Module pixma not found in directory /lib/modules/4.19.84

As above - no kernel module involved.

What you need is a suitable driver. There are (at least) two SBo
SlackBuilds for drivers covering different Pixma printer/scanners,
namely system/pixma and system/cnijfilter2 but I don't thinks either of
these is suitable for your scanner (check each README - I don't see your
device listed).

I used to have an earlier model CanoScan LiDE scanner for which I think
I used the supplied driver on the CD (was a long time ago). To obtain
the latest driver in your case, I suggest downloading from:

"https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/scanners/lide_series/canoscan-lide-400.html?type=drivers&language=en&os=linux%20(64-bit)"

from where Linux driver packages are available in .deb, .rpm and source
formats. You'll have to wrangle one of those to install.

chris