[Slackbuilds-users] jack-audio-connection-kit vs. jack2, redux
klaatu at member.fsf.org
Tue Jan 14 22:55:17 UTC 2020
On Tuesday, January 14, 2020 05:16:35 PM B Watson wrote:
> So I've been thinking about this, and talking to upstream JACK
> We current have jack-audio-connection-kit (JACK version 1.x) and jack2
> (version 2.x). I maintain both builds these days...
> Upstream considers version 1 to be archaic, and it'll only be updated if
> major issues are discovered (e.g. security fixes). They say nobody should
> still be using jack1, and if something that works on jack1 doesn't work
> on jack2, that's a bug in jack2 that should be reported.
> So I propose to do this:
> - Rename jack-audio-connection-kit to jack1-legacy.
> - Rename jack2 to jack.
> - Update all .info files and READMEs that mention jack-audio-connection-kit,
> so they say "jack" instead.
> - Eventually, get rid of jack1-legacy from our repo. No hurry on this.
> Why not rename jack2 to jack-audio-connection-kit? Because the switchover
> is already going to cause enough confusion without also having the names
> clash. Also, upstream refers to it as "jack" these days.
> Maintainers of builds that depend on jack-audio-connection-kit, you
> can help by installing jack2 (instead of jack-audio-connection-kit)
> and testing your builds with it. If things fail to build, or run
> incorrectly, and you get stuck trying to fix them, contact me by email
> or IRC (freenode, user Urchlay) and I'll attempt to help you out.
> Here's a list of all the builds that currently depend on
> jack-audio-connection-kit (REQUIRES or mentioned in the README), broken
> out by maintainer. If your name is on this list, please let me know you
> got this message...
> SlackBuilds-users mailing list
> SlackBuilds-users at slackbuilds.org
> Archives - https://lists.slackbuilds.org/pipermail/slackbuilds-users/
> FAQ - https://slackbuilds.org/faq/
Amazing, I LOVE this solution. Welcome to 2020, JACK.
My builds are tested with jack2 as it is, because jack2 is what I run on all
of my machines.
I have also tested, extensively, these applications with jack2 (by running
them on either my computer or computers I maintain for band mates and
* Christoph Willing <chris.willing at linux.com*
* Christopher Forrest <nyrednek at gmx.com*
* David Woodfall <dave at dawoodfall.net*
* Erik Hanson <erik at slackbuilds.org*
* Felix Pfeifer <pfeifer[dot]felix[at]googlemail[dot]com*
* Heinz Wiesinger <pprkut at liwjatan.at*
* Johannes Schoepfer <slackbuilds at schoepfer.info*
* Klaatu <klaatu at member.fsf.org*
* Larry Hajali <larryhaja[at]gmail[dot]com*
* Marcel Saegebarth <marc at mos6581.de*
* Matteo Bernardini <ponce at slackbuilds.org*
* Michales Michaloudes <korgie at gmail.com*
* Ryan P.C. McQuen <ryanpcmcquen at member.fsf.org*
* Zbigniew Baniewski <Zbigniew [dot] Baniewski [at] gmail [dot] com*
* klaatu <klaatu at member.fsf.org*
* B. Watson <yalhcru at gmail.com*
More information about the SlackBuilds-users