[Slackbuilds-users] I failed to build qt5

Larry Hajali larryhaja at gmail.com
Tue May 12 13:11:24 UTC 2020

> I did a rebuild overnight to make sure everything is still working and
> kept a log. Unfortunately, no magical insights from it though.
>
> However, it looks like the c++14 thing was a red herring - I see plenty
> of references to it (including checking for its capability).

Yeah, I don't believe this is an issue.

> I noticed that ninja itself (version, whatever) is probably not
> implicated; the configuration finds the system ninja to be too old and
> doesn't use it:
>
> Checking for system ninja...
> Found ninja from path: /usr/bin/ninja
> + /usr/bin/ninja --version
> > 1.10.0
> Ninja version too old
> Building own ninja

The upstream qtwebengine repo has a patch that hasn't been back ported it
to a version > 5.12.8 in the 5.12.x branch, which adds logic to pick up
ninja version >= 1.10.x.
https://github.com/qt/qtwebengine/commit/8c1a4841174a90299ba2e2851b4d9e79da3b9b25
Patch attached to pick up newer ninja version.

I also found the area where OP's build failed. No failure here but it is
> interesting that the progress indicator was quite different. In my build
> it was [15020/16427] but for OP it was [641/2162]. I wonder if that
> means different things are being built - leading to question of what the
> configuration discovered on the build machine (therefore determining
> what needed to be built).

Same.  Mine failed on [116/2525].  Looking up farther in the build output I
saw the following lines.

FAILED: obj/third_party/blink/renderer/core/core/core_initializer.o
virtual memory exhausted: Cannot allocate memory

> My build was on a clean, up to date, VM - nothing else installed except
> the required ninja, python3, meson & libxkbcommon packages.

Same.

Original VM had 4GB of RAM and no swap.  I increased it to 8GB of RAM and
that succeeded in less than half the time it took to fail on 4GB of RAM.

--Larry