[Slackbuilds-users] Google chrome? [ISSUE RESOLVED]

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat May 30 00:10:51 UTC 2020

On Sat, 30 May 2020, Klaatu wrote:

> For what it's worth, I've found using AlienBob's build of Chromium pretty
> useful. He keeps it pretty up to date, and I've never noticed any
> difference between it and Chrome in terms of compatibility with
> Chrom*-based tech.

Klaatu,

I've had that installed and updated for several years. It's been my
last-resort browser, but could not allow me to download xdg-open because it
did not find the URL. So, I built and installed Google Chrome from the
transformed .deb source.

Then it turned out that Chrome also could not find the URL it wanted to
apply to xdg-open. While firefox could not connect with ringcentral.com
(apparently a sub-set of Zoom), none of Opera, Chromium, or Chrome could
find the URL it wanted. So, ... I tried the option of using the browser, but
that also failed. As the last step I followed the link to download the
ringcentral client application.

Of course, the choice for 'other linux os' had nothing. I downloaded the
fedora .rpm, ran it through rpm2tgz, installed the .tgz package and it
works. I should have done this from Opera, but was on the phone with the
conference managers at the time.

Now I can invoke ringcentral, enter the meeting ID, and I'm in. No browser
needed. PITA all of this. Had I known there was a self-contained application
I could make work on Slackware I would have saved a couple of hours of time
and effort.

Stay well and enjoy your weekend,

Rich