[Slackbuilds-users] Google chrome?

Jeremy Hansen jebrhansen+SBo at gmail.com
Sat May 30 17:26:26 UTC 2020

On Sat, May 30, 2020, 10:24 AM Alexander Verbovetsky <alik at ejik.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 30 May 2020, Jeremy Hansen wrote:
> > On Sat, May 30, 2020, 6:32 AM Alexander Verbovetsky <alik at ejik.org>
> wrote:

> > > I think this is equivalent to the SlackBuild from extra, both install
> > > the last stable version.
> >
> > It's close, but ruario's script will check online for the latest
> > version and download it (and optionally install/upgrade it
> > automatically when finished).  The one from extra/ requires you to go
> > and download the latest .deb from Chrome's site and save it in the
> > same folder as the SlackBuild.
> >
> > Both give you the same package at the end, but ruario's requires much
> > less effort on your end.
>
> I suppose that every user of SBo has a convenient workflow for running
> SlackBuilds. With a trivial google-chrome.info, for example
> -----
> PRGNAM="google-chrome"
> VERSION="10.0.648.151"
> HOMEPAGE="http://www.google.com/chrome"
> DOWNLOAD=""
> MD5SUM=""
> DOWNLOAD_x86_64="
> https://dl.google.com/linux/direct/google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb"
> MD5SUM_x86_64=""
> REQUIRES=""
> MAINTAINER="Patrick Volkerding"
> EMAIL="volkerdi at slackware.com"
> -----
> one can use the same workflow.
>
> BTW, I also read the rss
> https://feeds.feedburner.com/GoogleChromeReleases
> to know about new versions.
>
> Best regards,
> Alexander

Very true. Everyone has their own way of doing things.

Your method does require manually changing the version in the .info and
downloading the .deb, whereas the latest-chrome script will check for a
newer release than the one you're running, if there is one, it'll download
it and repackage it into a .tgz automatically. If you pass the -i option to
the script, it'll even install/upgrade it.

I don't keep up with releases at all, but every few weeks, I'll just run
latest-chrome.sh -i as root and it'll update my installed chrome if needed.