[Slackbuilds-users] Google chrome?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun May 31 20:55:14 UTC 2020

On Sun, 31 May 2020, Logan Rathbone wrote:

> That's probably the best approach in any event. If ringcentral is
> anything like Zoom (I believe you said previously it was an offshoot),

Logan,

I must have mis-understood what the organization's tech said. RingCentral is
a business cloud-based phone system that also offers video and audio
conferencing. Zoom is also cloud based and offers webinars as well as video
and audio conferencing; fewer options than RingCentral. As far as I'm
concerned as a video conference presented the platform used is of no concern
as long as it supports Slackware linux.

> Even when I as a host have checked that checkbox, I've noticed that on
> Firefox you can only join the conference through your browser for the
> video portion, and to join by audio you have to call the toll-free number
> of the service.

Interesting. I just looked on the web for 'browser market share' and was
surprised to see that Chrome has a 68.06% share while firefox is in second
place with only a 8.21% share. While I suppose that I shouldn't be
surprised, I am.

> I don't understand this at all. Isn't the whole point of implementing
> these technologies in HTML5 to avoid these kinds of interoperability
> issues?

I've asked this same question. If it's on the web who cares what browser
running on what OS is used to host or participate in activities? Seems
analagous to a gas station providing fuel to only Ford F-150s because
they're the most popular vehicle. Their gasolene won't run any other engine.

Thanks for your insights.

Stay well,

Rich