[Slackbuilds-users] [Slackbuilds-user] Teamviewer3 EULA bypass

Dave Woodfall dave at slackbuilds.org
Wed Oct 28 04:19:59 UTC 2020

On 28/10/20 00:01,
B Watson <yalhcru at gmail.com> put forth the proposition:
> On 10/23/20, Dave Woodfall <dave at slackbuilds.org> wrote:
> >
> > I must admit that I'm a bit uncomfortable with this, and I wouldn't
> > want anything to backfire on SBo for hosting it.  In my mind it's no
> > worse than having to download jdk etc. source manually to build it.
> >
> > Just because it's an inconvenience for build tools is no reason to
> > try to bypass what the developers are trying their hardest to have
> > people read, and there may be good reason for someone to *want* to
> > read it to understand if they agree and want to continue to install
> > it, or not, as the case may be.
> >
> > I would put a note in the README about it and leave it at that.
> >
> > What do the other admins think?
> I think it'd actually be OK to add an environment variable EULA=agree
> or such, defaulting to off. The user's only required to read the
> EULA *once*, not every time he has to rebuild/reinstall the package
> (possibly on a different Slackware box than the first time). Set the
> variable and it skips the EULA (by whatever means).
> This will especially helpful to the maintainer of the package, who
> might have to run the script multiple times while developing/testing
> it.
> Also, if it doesn't already do so, it would be nice to include a copy
> of the EULA as e.g. /usr/doc/$PRGNAM-$VERSION/EULA.txt in the package.

That's a fair point.  Perhaps a more specific name for the variable
to the equivalent of ${PRGNAM}_EULA would be the way to go, in case
more crop up in the future and we need to distinguish between them.

--
Dave

Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over,
pinning you underneath.  At night, the ice weasels come.
	 --Friedrich Nietzsche