[Slackbuilds-users] geoclue2: wants optional dependencies

Jeremy Hansen jebrhansen+SBo at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 21:55:10 UTC 2021

On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 1:53 PM Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Feb 2021, B Watson wrote:
>
> > Are you sure you didn't run the script with the AVAHI variable set
> > in the environment?
>
> B,
>
> Yes.
>
> > From looking at the SlackBuild, it needs to be either unset, set to ""
> > (empty), or set to "no" (lowercase), to build without avahi. If it were
> > set to anything else (including for example "NO" or "false"), the
> > --disable-nmea-source option doesn't get passed to configure.
>
> On the SBo page I read,
>
> "avahi is an optional dependency, used for location sharing (by redshift,
> for example).  To enable it, use the option AVAHI=yes
>
>    AVAHI=yes ./geoclue2.Slackbuild"
>
> Since I don't want to enable it I did not add AVAHI=yes.
>
> That's also in the README file. I didn't see anything about setting
> AVAHI=no
> or anything else.
>
> > If you're using 'export AVAHI=<value>', you might have a leftover
> > value in your environment. Use 'unset AVAHI' to clear it out.
>
> There's no AVAHI here to export.
>
> If AVAHI is not on the system how would it be in the environment?
>
> My web search showed me that AVAHI is a networking implentation which
> enables programs to publish and discover services and hosts running on a
> local network. If it's part of core Slackware then it's missing here after
> my running 'slackpkg upgrade-all'.
>
> > In general, when the README says 'set VARIABLE=value in the
> > environment', the script specifically looks for 'value',
> > case-sensitive. 'Value' or 'VALUE' won't match.
>
> When package maintainers write 'to add this option use this in front of the
> build script' and I don't want to add it I've always left it off.
>
> > Also, you can try forcing the issue with AVAHI="no" in the env. That
> > should work.
>
> Worth a try. Command line: AVAHI=no ./geoclue2.SlackBuild &>
> geoclue2-build.log
>
> Same results. Build log attached.

I don't know what to tell you. The SlackBuild defaults to disabling nmea
unless the AVAHI variable is set to anything other than "no". If it is left
unset, nmea is disabled.

avahi_opts='--disable-nmea-source'
[ "${AVAHI:-no}" != "no" ] && avahi_opts=''

The only other thing to check would be running the script with bash -x to
see everything bash sees when it's running the script. This way it would be
able to tell you what happens with the above code block.

Jeremy