[Slackbuilds-users] Proposal for build scripts

UpNort upnort at tushmail.com
Fri Mar 5 20:11:19 UTC 2021

Hi All,

Proposal: SBo build scripts check locally for the downloaded sources and
validate the md5sum.

I always hen-pecked my way through SBo to build the packages I want.
Doable on a single package basis. Now that I am trying to help test
Current with at least the packages I use, I notice some inefficiency at
my end.

The Current git clone (fork) does not contain the sources. That's ok and
I don't expect that, even with the parent SBo site.

Yet when I copy a specific SBo package directory to a build environment,
the sources still do not exist locally. While the parent SBo site has
links to the sources, with the git clone I have to open the info file to
find the upstream location and manually download.

Perhaps all SBo scripts could automate this. Before executing the tar
command verify the sources exist in $CWD. Use the info file to download
as necessary. Then validate the sources with md5sum from the info file.

I realize third party packages automate this, but for people manually
installing SBo packages the modifications would save time and offer
nominal security.

Just a thought.

Thanks.

P.S. I am not a member of the list.