[Slackbuilds-users] RFC updates for gdal slackbuild

Erich Ritz erich.public at protonmail.com
Sun Dec 3 17:24:43 UTC 2023

On Saturday, December 2nd, 2023 at 2:38 PM, Greg Tourte <artourter at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been looking at the gdal slackbuild for version 3.8. I have held off for now as it had an issue with building when an older version was installed. Since I reported the issue upstream and a patch has since then been written, I can now work on it.
>
> The new release is rather trivial although it bumps the shared library version. However, the current script doesn't really specify most dependencies and basically relies on what is already installed on the system. Most other distro packages will build gdal with enforced dependencies and I am very tempted to change the script to do so as well (especially now that the circular libspatialite dependency is no longer an issue).
>
> What do people think. Do any one have any objections?
>
> Cheers
>
> Greg

Hi Greg,

I only build gdal because of paraview and FlightGear (FlightGear->SimGear->OpenSceneGraph->gdal).  That being said here is my slackrepo hintfile for gdal:

# cat /var/lib/slackrepo/etr/hintfiles/gdal.hint
ADDREQUIRES="proj-data freexl hdf hdf5 libkml netcdf xerces-c SFCGAL"
OPTIONS="OPENCL=yes"

I too prefer to build most things with as many features as possible.  I'd rather have extra bloat than discover later some feature I want isn't available because I didn't compile it in.

So I'm in support of you including as much as you think is reasonable.

If something isn't actually required for a successful build, you could mention in the README that such deps can be removed from REQUIRES for a leaner package (at the expense of reduced functionality).  But that's only if you want to be extra nice to the minimalists out there :)

Erich