[Slackbuilds-users] tracking down SBo "dependencies"

Jim zsd+slackbuilds at jdvb.ca
Thu Feb 29 19:34:02 UTC 2024

On Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 16:54 (+0000), Erich Ritz via SlackBuilds-users wrote:

> On Thursday, February 29th, 2024 at 10:12 AM, Jim <zsd+slackbuilds at jdvb.ca> wrote:

>> I recently upgraded the SBo dav1d, which upgraded the library from
>> libdav1d.so.6 to libdav1d.so.7.

>> Unfortunately, a couple of other SBo packages (libheif and vlc) had
>> references to (specifically) libdav1d.so.6, which caused them to whine a
>> bit.

>> It was easy enough to recompile libheif and vlc after I found the problem,
>> but this got me wondering...

>> Does anyone have an easy way of tracking down this sort of "breakage" which
>> might happen when upgrading an SBo package?

> If you are using sbopkg's queue files they should list direct dependencies (including optional ones).  So a quick grep should help there.
> For example:
> $ grep dav1d /var/lib/sbopkg/queues/*.sqf
> /var/lib/sbopkg/queues/dav1d.sqf:dav1d
> /var/lib/sbopkg/queues/ffmpeg.sqf:@dav1d
> /var/lib/sbopkg/queues/vlc.sqf:@dav1d

I am not using sbopkg, but maybe I should be.

> If using slackrepo packages should get automatically rebuilt when direct
> dependencies are upgraded (when using "slackrepo update").

dav1d is *not* in the REQUIRES list of vlc, so I don't think it qualifies
as a "direct dependency".

> Using slackrepo for quite a while now I've never had the problem of a
> package failing to recompile when necessary.

That's good to know, thanks.

> By the way, the slackrepo method relies on the *.info file to list ALL
> direct dependencies, even those which are also dependencies of
> dependencies.  Some maintainers like to cull the list of dependencies
> which are also dependencies of dependencies (which I personally disagree
> with...).

Hmmm... I don't see any dependency path in the .info files which leads me
from vlc to dav1d.  Maybe I'm missing it, but if it is not there, I wonder
if slackrepo would actually catch this.  I guess there's one way to find
out.

Cheers.
                                Jim