[Slackbuilds-users] tracking down SBo "dependencies"

Jim zsd+slackbuilds at jdvb.ca
Thu Feb 29 19:44:58 UTC 2024

On Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 16:55 (+0000), Tim Dickson via SlackBuilds-users wrote:

> it is hard for optional dependencies. for hard deps, you can do an advanced
> reverse dependency(full) search on slackbuilds.org

> Personally I keep build lists for the things I use, including optional deps,
> and build flags and other special build instructions.
> It is more work, and when a package is updated one should recheck the deps
> incase they have changed, but it helps, so I rebuild
> all packages that directly depend on the updated one. Occasionally you have
> to rebuild further up the dep tree, but it works
> most of the time.

Thanks Tim.  I do see the value of writing things like this down.  However,
up until the day before yesterday, I had no idea that libheif and vlc would
have pulled in dav1d, so I wouldn't have known to write it down.

Certainly, this is a rare problem, at least in my experience.  Had the
update to dav1d been to 6.1 instead of 7.0, all would have been OK.

Cheers.
                                Jim