[Slackbuilds-users] Using a git commit as source vs. applying a patch
KB_SBo
sbo at linuxgalaxy.org
Tue Sep 22 23:19:11 UTC 2026
On 9/22/26 13:27, Daniel Aguilera wrote:
> I'm trying to update the ess slackbuild to a newer version.
> The tarball at https://ess.r-project.org/ess-26.05.0.tar.gz <https://
> ess.r-project.org/ess-26.05.0.tar.gz> doesn't build due
> to multiple errors.
> These errors are fixed in the git repo and I can build ess using it as
> source.
>
> ¿What would be the "right" way to update the slackbuild?
>
> A) Using the last commit (254d329) as source
>
> B) Use the release tarball and add a patch with the fixes
> --
> Daniel Aguilera
It all "depends". If the commit is not too "large" I just do a patch or
patches. Many SBo scripts do it this way.
Also popular, especially if upstream does not use releases or tags, is
to bundle it all up yourself and host the tarball here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/slackbuildsdirectlinks/files/
You can ask the SBo admins for access.
-kb
More information about the SlackBuilds-users
mailing list