[Slackbuilds-users] Bug: wxGTK

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Tue Aug 14 21:35:54 UTC 2007

Timothy Pollard wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 17:17:17 +0300
> Iskar Enev <iskar.enev at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I *think* wxGTK was "frozen" to version 2.6 due to incompatibility of
>> version 2.8 with some other package.
>
> I suppose that's reasonable, so we could just keep 2.6 in the repository, and
> people that really want 2.8 can modify the SlackBuild themselves.
>
> Though, I can think of another couple of solutions as well
> One, configure has the following two options:
> --enable-compat24       enable wxWidgets 2.4 compatibility
> --disable-compat26      disable wxWidgets 2.6 compatibility
> Whether they actually work I don't know, but if someone will point me at the
> problem program/s I can test it.
>
> Two, if that doesn't work I can make the SlackBuild so it could build either
> version something like "wxGTK.SlackBuild VERSION=2.6.3" or "wxGTK.SlackBuild
> VERSION=2.8.4" defaulting too 2.6. I don't know if this is considered good
> practice though.

I don't recall what all apps in our repo need wxGTK, but audacity
and some instant messenger app come to mind.  I know that Chess
Griffin did some work on this area earlier, so you might contact
him and see if you guys can hammer it out together.

If all of the upstream stuff that we have in the repo is now ready
for wxGTK-2.8, then I don't see why we wouldn't agree to upgrade
it here.

Thanks!

RW