[Slackbuilds-users] Patch proposal to remove bashisms from some scripts

Ben Mendis dragonwisard at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 13:31:46 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 5:29 AM, B Watson <yalhcru at gmail.com> wrote:

> Pretty much a separate (possibly off-topic) question here: why would
> anyone even care to use ash for /bin/sh on a build host? On an embedded
> system it makes sense, but on the dev box where you build its packages?

A counter argument might be, why should we preclude the ability to build
packages on the system where they are to be deployed?

Slackware has an official ARM port now and while ARM is getting faster, you
might still want to run with a lighter-weight shell to conserve memory or
improve performance.

I'm no authority on the matter, but my impression is that it's very
"un-Slackware" to dictate that users must conform to an arbitrary default.
Especially when that would violate the standard.

As far as opening up submissions to other shells, I agree that could become
an issue. Perl and Python are also in the default Slackware install but I
don't wish to see SlackBuilds written in those languages on SBo. I'm not in
a position to set policy but I would suggest that our benevolent admins
accept either /bin/bash or /bin/sh, with the polite request that /bin/sh
should be used _only_ if it has been tested in another Bourne-compliant
shell like ash. I think that is reasonable.