[Slackbuilds-users] vlc 2.1.1 (SBo git) in 14.1

Eric Hameleers eha at alienbase.nl
Thu Nov 21 14:44:07 UTC 2013

On Thu, 21 Nov 2013, Antonio Hernández Blas wrote:

> Anyway, after creating a "metaSlackBuild" for vlc [1] and getting a log [2]
> from it i'm seeing (grep -B 1 -A 2 vlc-2.1.1-build-2013-11-20.log) that
> live555 is not detected [3] by vlc. Is this "normal" or something wrong with
> my system?

The full log when looking for live555 is like this (in my build):

checking for LIVE555... no
configure: WARNING: No package 'live555' found.
checking for live555 version 1324598400 or later... yes
checking for main in -lliveMedia_pic... no
checking for main in -lliveMedia... yes

The last three lines are what counts. Live555 is deteceted and a module
built for it.

Your log looks like this:

checking for LIVE555... no
configure: WARNING: No package 'live555' found.
checking for live555 version 1324598400 or later... no
configure: WARNING: live555 is missing or its installed version is too
old:
Version 2011.12.23 or later is required to proceed.
You can get an updated one from http://www.live555.com/liveMedia .

The VLC is very picky about the version of the live555 source. However the
version available in
http://slackbuilds.org/cgit/slackbuilds/tree/libraries/live555 is
"2011.12.23" which is the correct version.

The following line in my own SlackBuild may explain why your live555
package still is not accepted by vlc's configure:

# Live555 is not useable with vlc unless linked statically.

Another reason may be that the SlackBuilds.org version of the live555
package sticks its files into subdirectories of /isr/lib and /usr/include
whereas my SlackBuild does not create subdirectories below ./usr/lib and
./usr/include . I have not looked at vlc's configure command to see how it
checks for live555 exactly.

> [3]https://gist.github.com/nihilismus/d65b967b14f0b3a40054#file-grep-vlc-log-txt

Some of the "missing" packages are actually redundant:
- dirac is missing but we have schroeinger in its place;
- new lua 5.2 interpreter version is not found which is good because that
version does not work, but the older lua is found;

You don't need some of the other "missing" ones like DeckLink and gnomevfs
Kate/tiger are only needed when you want to play Karaoke streams;

The missing libva is a pity because that disables VLC's gpu-accelerated
video playback;
Fluidsynth would be nice to have because then VLC can play MIDI files;
Shout is required if you want to use VLC as a player for ShoutCast/Icecast
streams;
GOOM and ProjectM enhance VLC with nice hallucinatory visualisations when
playing audio.

Eric