[Slackbuilds-users] Another build error: glabels

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Oct 4 12:50:09 UTC 2018

On Thu, 4 Oct 2018, 414N wrote:

> I've got no problems too building glabels on a Slackware64 14.2 system
> with Eric's multilib packages installed.

> If it is gcc, what version are you using? Is it
> "gcc-5.5.0_multilib-x86_64-1alien"?

Alan,

   The issue seems to be the newness of the hardware, most likely the CPU;
perhaps also the motherboard. Packages that have built with no issues on the
three 64-bit portables here that are older will not build on this new
system.

   A couple of examples. OpenBLAS (which I need for GRASS, the spatial
analysis tool) would not build until I added a line to the build script
specifying TARGET=ZEN. 'ZEN' is the codename for AMD's Ryzen line of
high-performance CPUs that were first released last year. Adding that target
allowed OpenBLAS to build.

   AlienBOB wrote that he, too, has a Ryzen CPU in a desktop and experienced
some failure issues just running. He fixed that by uupgrading the 14.2's
kernel to one in the 4.14 series.

   In order to build GnuCash I need goffice/goffice8, and neither will build
on this new box. But, LyX, TeXlive, and JabRef built flawlessly (and
quickly.) All this seems to point to support for a CPU released well after
the basic (and fully patched) 14.2 was released.

   Unless Those Who Know tell me not to upgrade to -current, just upgrade the
kernel (and it's been more than 15 years since I built a custom kernel from
kernel.org source; not since 2003 when I switched from Red Hat 7.4 to
Slackware-8.0) I'll do the upgrade this coming weekend. After learning how
best to do this.

Thanks,

Rich