[Slackbuilds-users] foldingathome

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 02:48:23 UTC 2021

On 9/26/21 10:34, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> Would it be possible to get a foldingathome slackbuild script after
> slackware 15.0 gets released?  Many other distros have the capability to
> build and contribute to this project but not so slackware yet at least
> with slackbuilds.
> We could set up a slackware team to help solve covid and other diseases
> once a package like that became available.
> There might be a problem since slackware doesn't use systemd and so far as
> I know no such change is planned for the future.  Foldingathome uses
> systemd to run but if there are ways around this this might be possible.

It all depends on how folding at home is compiled re: systemd.  I am also
not sure if it's opensource: they only have pre-compiled binaries.

Alternatively consider BOINC: it is available on SBo, is open source, is
built from source, and hosts a number of projects for medicine, for example:

rosetta at home
GPUGrid
World Community Grid

I don't know why folding at home (originally at Stanford University) did
not leverage the already existing BOINC at UC Berkeley.

The nice thing about BOINC is that you are not limited to one science
project.

when 15.0 hits, I'll hope to get off my duff and do that rc.boinc init
script for running headless, instead of running mostly with Boinc
Manager GUI.

-kb