[Slackbuilds-users] openjdk8 compile (either manually or via sbotools) failing at openjdk7

Luc Van Rompaey luc.vanrompaey at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 11:10:26 UTC 2022

Op wo 6 apr. 2022 om 10:10 schreef Arnaud via SlackBuilds-users <
slackbuilds-users at slackbuilds.org>:

> > > This looks like you're inadvertently using the wrong set of source
> > > files. Each new openjdk version has a new set of source files, many of
> > > which have no version number (openjdk.tar.bz2, corba.tar.bz2, ...) so
> > > your build system can easily pick up the wrong source file.
> > >
> > > chris
> >
> > Good morning all
> >
> > I do not doubt the comment above, but in this case, how could it be
> unless
> > the slackbuild source links are out of step/compromised/whatever.
> >
> > As I mentioned, it is a clean physical machine freshly installed and
> then
> > updated - no other [java related or other slackbuild addons etc]
> downloads
> > prior - and simply the source files linked in the slackbuild info.  Each
> > slackbuild individually run using 'su -' (rather than using sbotools or
> > similar) as required.  I don't even get to try openjdk8 (or download
> > anything for it) as apache-ant, gcc5 and openjdk7 are listed as required
> > first.  It is openjdk7 that is failing in that chain as such.
> >
> > That all said, I will go back and check the sources, though I think that
> > has been done by Matteo.
> >
> > Regards
> > Habs
>
> My comment will not add much to the problem, but my several tries are all
> failing at the same place (ie: invalid entry CRC).
> Be it on my master very unclean multilib box, a chroot, multilib or not,
> updated and clean, or some other cleaner boxes, VMs, not multilib, I can't
> make it build, and it always fails on the same place...
>
> But unlike others here, I don't pretend doing it on perfectly clean
> installations (though always without any other java installed).
> Although I am really sure my source packages are the right ones, MD5SUM
> checked and all.
>
> --
> Arnaud <arnaud.garcia-fernandez at laposte.net>
>
> Let me first tell you all that I have been out of the Slackware loop for a
while and that I'm only just getting ready to install Slackware 15.0 on my
new computer.
Thus, for now, I cannot do any tests involving Slackware myself.

Anyway, I remember looking into the different Apache Ant releases just
before life interfered, and I was about to try and figure out how the Ant
releases and the (Open)JDK version did and did not go together. I hadn't
gotten far enough to draw any final conclusions, though, and I hadn't taken
any meaningful notes yet.

This ongoing discussion reminded me that I had sent in an update to the
apache-ant slackbuild when I took it over. According to the SlackBuilds
history, it had been at Ant version 1.9.9 until then, and I updated it to
1.9.14. Now, if I remember correctly, I had successfully compiled OpenJDK 7
(and subsequently 8) before I took over the apache-ant slackbuild, and I
don't believe that I have ever recompiled them since then.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I'm now wondering if, perhaps, the
problem may have anything to do with the Apache Ant version. In other
words, the build fails with Ant 1.9.14, but it may still complete
successfully with Ant 1.9.9. May be worth a try. Then, if that works, I may
attempt a build with the latest Ant 1.9.x revision (currently 1.9.16) and
see what gives. In any case, there's no point in trying the build with Ant
1.10.x, since that cannot make sense of any Java run-time environment older
than, I think, Java version 8 (and, consequently, the Java environment
provided by gcc5).

If anyone wants to try out the OpenJDK build with Apache Ant 1.9.9 while
I'm getting ready for Slackware 15.0, the Ant versions can be downloaded
from https://archive.apache.org/dist/ant/binaries/

Let's hope we can work this issue out.

Regards,
Luc.