[Slackbuilds-users] 32-bit fails

B. Watson urchlay at slackware.uk
Mon Mar 28 06:20:48 UTC 2022

On Mon, 28 Mar 2022, Ozan Türkyılmaz wrote:

> That was what I meant having 32 bit hardware. Chroot wont help you.
> Kernel is still 64 bit and there are differences between running under
> 32 bit and 64 bit kernels. The second best way is to create a full 32
> bit installation under an emulator. The best way is of course having a
> 32 bit slackware installed on a partition and booting into it. But
> emulator is the second best thing and will do.

Nah, my 32-bit chroot correctly reports time_t is 32 bits. I run it
with "linux32 chroot /path/to/os". Anything that checks the CPU type
(e.g. uname -m) will see i686. Even if it didn't, sizeof(time_t) in
32-bit glibc is 32 bits because that's how it's defined in whichever
header actually defines it.

The trouble was, I was running my test compiles outside of the chroot
entirely (on my regular 64-bit install). So of course my code reports
time_t is 64 bits there...