[Slackbuilds-users] ngspice does not depend on openmpi

Franzen slackbuilds at schoepfer.info
Fri Apr 28 12:51:57 UTC 2023

> I don't use ngspice, so have no special interest in it (and no
> knowledge about its prerequisites).
>
> However, as a general principle, I don't think that just because a
> SlackBuild will complete without some other SlackBuild as dependency
> (here openmpi), that the "dependency" should be precluded. Who knows
> what functionality it provides when it is included? Maybe that
> functionality is not useful to everyone but it may be useful to some.
>
> I don't believe we should be generating minimalist libraries or
> applications, rather products containing as many features as possible
> which the authors have made possible. End users should be able to
> expect whatever functionality the product is able to provide, not some
> subset of the possible functionality.
>
> People who know what they're doing and who want some minimalist build
> are free to leave out whatever they want and edit their personal
> versions of SlackBuilds accordingly. Please don't insist that everyone
> is bound by the same idea.

Thanks for your feedback.
In this case, openmpi doesn't even change the binary, it does nothing at
compile-time.
It also does nothing if available on a single device.
Ngspice might use openmpi if it's available and configured to use
multiple devices in a network.

Despite i lean towards minimal dependencies, this dependency feels just
wrong, it feels like e.g. a dependency on one more display as it might
be a
comfortable feature.
I would mention openmpi in the README anyway, i hope the maintainer
gives some feedback too.

Johannes