[Slackbuilds-users] Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup 0.30.1 game

David Chmelik dchmelik at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 12:53:44 UTC 2023

I updated Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (DCSS) game crawl.SlackBuild v0.30.1
(has both graphical and ASCII modes) and uploaded to my servers (no
$DOWNLOAD but has $MD5SUM) but have more GitHub problems.  I read
slackbuilds.org/GITHUB_URLs.txt several times, but GitHub and projects
keep changing things (and I may be one of many GitHub now blocks from 'git
clone' and often curl & wget, which happened frequently most this year, at
least since what Microsoft did, after which traceroute to github.com
became broken for me and others).
    TechRights.org wrote a maybe 20-part article series on problems/fall
of GitHub, including earlier this year, Microsoft closed GitHub's offices
and has continually cut funding/jobs... Microsoft is over $100,000,000,000
in debt.  Free/Libre/Opensource Software (FLS, OSS, FOSS, FLOSS) projects
are advised to host on FLOSS sites!
    DCSS changed their source code name from stone_soup to crawl, but now
back to stone_soup, and keeps changing several other parts of their
tarball names (debian, nodeps, orig, etc.).  One can download v0.30.1 with
a graphical web browser, but for curl & wget I have no idea where
anymore.  According to GITHUB_URLS.txt and current stable version file
name one can download with graphical web browser, should be http://
github.com/crawl/crawl/releases/download/v0.30.1/stone_soup-0.30.1.tar.xz
(isn't).
    If anyone tests/plays DCSS, one can download source code from DCSS'
GitHub page in a graphical web browser, and increment version number, and
change $SRCNAM back to stone_soup (I've done these in my upload) and it
should compile and run fine.
    I 'quit' maintaining crawl.SlackBuild a year or few ago because DCSS
changes too much... has always regularly changed/removed fun parts of the
game much more than parts of their source code tarball names, so recent
years' games are very different than earlier (most versions like entirely
different games) so I prefer original (Linley's) Dungeon Crawl, and DCSS
almost 20 years ago, and for many years, more the fork/variant Dungeon
Crawl Stoat Soup.  Nevertheless, I still have time for crawl.SlackBuild
and haven't got to Stoat Soup SlackBuild.
    When I built and did 'sbolint crawl-0.30.1-x86_64-1_SBo.tgz' it said
errors: not a .tar.gz rather than .tgz, and size warning, and "not a SBo-
compliant tarball, contains extra junk './'"...

http://slackbuilds.davidchmelik.com/games/crawl.tar.xz / http://
mirror.davidchmelik.com/math/slackbuilds/games/crawl.tar.xz