[Slackbuilds-users] so-called terminal image viewers

B. Watson urchlay at slackware.uk
Thu Jun 22 21:44:15 UTC 2023

On Thu, 22 Jun 2023, dchmelik at gmail.com wrote:

> Recent years there have been a few so-called 'terminal image viewers'
> SlackBuilds uploaded but in these descriptions people are lying through
> their teeth: when I tried these on pure (non-X) terminals (/dev/tty*)
> they don't work at all.  They were made for X terminals (xterms) or

The trouble is, the word 'terminal' is ill-defined and
overloaded. When I say "this runs in a terminal", I might mean an X
terminal emulator (xterm, urxvt, konsole, etc), or I might mean the
Linux console, or I might (unlikely but possible) mean a real piece of
hardware like a Wyse or a DEC VT220, plugged into an RS232 port. Or,
a piece of software like minicom (also with RS232).

Other replies to this thread talk about framebuffer image viewers. I
personally wouldn't call those "terminal" image viewers, I'd actually
use the word "framebuffer".

I agree that the descriptions in the READMEs should be more
specific. But aggressively calling people liars isn't likely to win
them over to your point of view...