[Slackbuilds-users] couple questions (hi-jacked)

Erik Hanson erik at slackbuilds.org
Wed Aug 1 17:59:07 UTC 2007

On Aug 01, 2007, at  3:35 PM, Michiel van Wessem wrote:

> > Sending a patch to this list, or submitting an updated script. If you're
> > not able to work with the scripts then just emailing the list (especially
> > concerning security updates) is fine.
> >

> In addition to that, it's probably good manners to write the author of the
> script first and ask if he either has time to update the script or that he
> minds that you do it for him. If the author doesn't react, I would go the way
> Erik described.

That's right, I was a bit absent in my reply. You should contact the author
first, if possible.

> > A quick grep shows that we have cmake in the 11.0 repo here:
> > http://slackbuilds.org/repository/11.0/development/cmake/
> > I can't comment on why it doesn't exist for 12.0, which is unfortunate
>
> Cmake is not included in the 12.0 repository anymore, because it's one of
> those packages that has made it's way into mainline Slackware 12.0. As per
> SBo's policy we don't include anything that is in a normal Slackware install
> already :)
>
> PACKAGE LOCATION: d/cmake-2.4.6-i486-2.tgz

That's right, again, absent minded. I grep'd on a 10.1 machine. Sorry.

Now to hi-jack this thread, to go on record there is no problem hosting
CVS/SVN/etc snapshots on our server. There's enough space and bandwidth to
go around. What I would like, just to cover bases, is that the author(s) of
said software know a snapshot is being hosted, and why. This is just basic
communication, and I don't think would be very difficult.

There isn't currently a system in place, but really all it would take is
a half-second `mkdir` and we'd be set to host snapshots. The key is to just
tie in the snapshot with the .SlackBuild, as Alan suggested in another post.

Erik Hanson
--
http://slackbuilds.org/