[Slackbuilds-users] Fwd: bug on openbox package

Chess Griffin chess at chessgriffin.com
Sat Jul 5 18:39:43 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 2:38 AM, Phillip Warner <pc_warner at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Actually, after I thought about this for a second the solution is simple.
> The openbox.desktop file that is in question is actually a part of the
> kdebase package.  It doesn't get used until there is a xinitrc file for
> openbox available.  The openbox slackBuild has the xinitrc's for openbox
> (session), openbox-KDE, and openbox-GNOME, and the corresponding .desktop
> files are in
> /usr/share/xsessions/openbox*.  This seemed to work fine in Slackware 12.0,
> but I don't think KDM in Slackware 12.1 looks there anymore.  As a result
> only the stock openbox.desktop file (under
> /usr/share/apps/kdm/sessions from the kdebase package) is used.
>
> The solution is to either move or symlink the created .desktop files under
> /usr/share/xsessions/
> so that they are in
> /usr/share/apps/kdm/sessions/
>
> If you don't want the stock .desktop file to be overwritten (this is ideal),
> you should rename the new openbox.desktop file to openbox-session.desktop
> and change the "Name" field to something like Openbox-Session.  The
> slackBuild README should then inform the user to use Openbox-Session if they
> want to use the autostart file.
>
> Hopefully this clears everything up.
>
> --phil

Ok, I think I'm pretty much back in the saddle again.  :-)

I've read through this thread a couple of times and I don't use KDM or
have any KDE packages installed, so I might need some clarification of
the issue and possible solution.  The thing that jumps out at me,
though, is that I'm not sure this is an issue with the openbox
SlackBuild.  From what I gather, it seems to be a kdebase/KDM issue.
Is that correct?  In other words, is the problem that the
openbox.desktop file that ships with KDM should exec openbox-session
and not openbox?

--
Chess Griffin
GPG Public Key: 0x0C7558C3