[Slackbuilds-users] sbopkg 0.0.8rc1 testers needed

Chess Griffin chess at chessgriffin.com
Tue Jul 15 13:48:23 UTC 2008

I have added a new feature to sbopkg based on many requests -- the
ability to display potential updates to installed SBo packages on the
user's system -- and I would like to solicit testers.  This is actually
a somewhat difficult feature to implement, given the fact that there are
slight variations on upstream version numbering, package names, etc.
which have to be addressed in the SlackBuilds.  In short, sbopkg
attempts to match the $PRGNAM-$VERSION-$ARCH-$BUILD$TAG of each
installed SBo package with the $PRGNAM-$VERSION-$ARCH-$BUILD$TAG of the
corresponding SlackBuild.  If they do not match, then there is an
update.  However, due to the slight upstream variations mentioned
previously, parsing SlackBuilds and matching up the package name,
version number, arch, and build number is not always accurate.

In any event, there is a rc1 of sbopkg version 0.0.8 available for
download for anyone that is interested in testing.  I have already found
one issue that has been fixed in svn and will be included in the next
release candidate, but I could really use some more testers.  If you do
test, please let me know of any successes or problems by posting here,
emailing me off list, or better yet, subscribing and posting to the
sbopkg mailing list.  The problems will likely manifest themselves in
the update list -- either incorrectly marking something as a potential
update, or missing an update that should be listed, or displaying
packages with extraneous characters in the package name or version
number (i.e. such as double quotes or something) which then results in a
false positive.

Anyway, enough rambling.  The source tarball and package for 0.0.8rc1
are available here:

http://code.google.com/p/sbopkg/downloads/list

Thanks for your help.

--