[Slackbuilds-users] wicd problems -wicd users read this!

Phillip Warner pc_warner at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 27 00:36:48 UTC 2008

This email is more of a heads up for those using wicd as the problems listed here seem to be from upstream.

The biggest problem I see with wicd is the configuration and log files it saves under /opt/wicd.  In particular there is a log file at
/opt/wicd/data/wicd.log that is world readable and writable.  A malicious user could potentially use this to fill up your hdd partition that /opt resides on.  Worse yet, I found out that the file sometimes will display your network keys in clear text.  Perhaps touching the file in the slackBuild and setting better initial permissions would help.  If wicd really needs the file world writable then something upstream is amiss.

Also, the current version of wicd does not work with dbus-python 0.83.0.  This shouldn't be a problem for anyone using the official Slackware dbus-python package for Slackware 12.1, however.

FWIW, I had problems using wicd on a WEP network (using patched and non-patched versions with the Slackware default networking enabled and disabled).  Using passphrase instead of the key or using quotes did not help.