[Slackbuilds-users] Updates - 20091206

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Tue Dec 15 05:53:22 UTC 2009

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 18:18:15 +0800
Grissiom <chaos.proton at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/12/7 Ozan Türkyılmaz <ozan.turkyilmaz at gmail.com>

> > choise.
> > >>

> > > Yes, that why I wrote ibus and ibus-qt SlackBuild. ;-) Thanks for
> > > take
> > care
> > > of IBus-anthy.

> > > Yes, I think UTF-8 is competent for international usage. But I'm
> > > sorry
> > that
> > > I don't know any technical details there...
> >
> > its implentation in gcc world is pretty bad. but most of the editor
> > you can use
> > supports unicode without any problem (like vim) and bash likes my
> > full unicode system.
> > however you may have problems with unicode scripts on non-unicode
> > systems.
> >
> > is there way to point script encoding at the start (changing
> > locale?)
> >

> That remind me of the way that Python handle this kind of problem:
> add a line "# -*- coding: <encoding name> -*-" at the header of the
> file. It's acceptable on my side. Anyway, waiting for advises from
> the admin team.

Well, it's apparently not as easy as it looks.  I've been using
a UTF8 locale (en_US.UTF-8) for a *long* time, and as far as
know, everything on the server is configured for utf8, but I
still get varying results depending on the editor being used,
the phase of the moon, the fed's prime interest rate, and the
average number eggs laid by Aunt Fifi's prize winning hens
over the last month.

-RW