[Slackbuilds-users] virtualbox-ose.SlacBuild on Multilib install

Heinz Wiesinger pprkut at liwjatan.at
Wed Sep 30 12:22:17 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 30 September 2009 13:59:08 Chris Abela wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Not being competent as Alien Bob or Heinz Wiesinger, I must say that I only
> managed to install virtualbox-ose-x86_64-1_Sbo.tgz on Slack64 after a heavy
> trial and error session. For those who are planning to make such an
> installation the following notes might help. If anyone can explain or
> improve them, please go ahead.
>
> 1. Install Multilib according to Eric's wiki.

Actually, you don't need a full multiplib setup. The gcc and glibc packages
are sufficient.

> 2. Do not bother installing gsoap. I did not manage to install the
> webservice option, no matter what.

It works fine here. What's the error you get?

> 3. Edit LIBDIRSUFFIX="64" to LIBDIRSUFFIX="" in the SlackBuild.

Now, this is certainly wrong. Do *NOT* do this!

> 4. DO NOT source /etc/profile.d/32dev.sh.
> 5. groupadd -g 215 vboxusers , # export VBOXUSERS=NO is not respected.

If VBOXUSERS is not respected, you are using Hardening. You have to
additionally pass HARDENING=no to the script. I personally wouldn't do this in
a production environment though.

> 6. Naturally, do not: # export WEBSERVISE=yes
> 5. Run the virtualbox-ose.SlackBuild as usual.
> 6. Run the virtualbox-kernel.SlacBuild as usual.
> 7. installpkg the packages as usual.
> Then usual VirtualBox stuff (that all Slacker know, but might forget)
> follows
> 8. Edit /etc/groups to include your users in the vboxusers group.
> 9. # chmod 755 /etc/rc.d/rc.vboxdvr # DON'T ASK!

rc.vboxdrv :)

> 10. Edit /etc/rc.d/rc.local and /etc/rc.d/rc.local_shutdown according to
>  the README
> 11. # /etc/rc.d/rc.vboxdrv start
> 12 If you are running Fluxbox (my present WM), edit .fluxbox/menu with
> [exec] (VirtualBox) {VirtualBox} somewhere appropriate.

Grs,
Heinz