[Slackbuilds-users] deadbeef music player - unmaintained?

Max Miorim miorimmax at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 15:31:47 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 10:51 AM, Grigorios Bouzakis <grbzks at xsmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 01 of July 2010 02:45:39 Max Miorim wrote:
>>
>> That may be related to ALSA, specifically, the DMIX. By default, the
>> DMIX uses 48KHz sample rates and some applications that use
> lower
>> rates will have to resample the sound, which leads to he
>> aforementioned high CPU usage.
>>
>> You can try either configuring your applications to use 48KHz sample
>> rates or modify your $HOME/.asoundrc so the DMIX uses a lower rate
>> such as 44KHz, like this:
>>
>> pcm.swmixer {
>>     type dmix
>>      slave {
>>         pcm "hw:0,0"
>>          rate 44100
>>     }
>> }
>>
>> The ALSA wiki has some more details, have a look at
>> http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Dmix.
>>

>> -- Max
>
> If that was the case wouldnt it also be a problem with all players using
> alsa? I never experienced such bhaviour with neither cmus or amarok.
>
> --
> Greg

Depends, I don't use Amarok but since it's a KDE applicataion, I
believe it uses Phonon instead of Dmix for mixing, which may explain
why it doesn't suffer from this.

I don't know about cmus, does it uses the Dmix device, a "hw" device
or something like Phonon/Gstreamer/PulseAudio? Using Dmix would lead
to this issue on some computers (it's related to hardware mostly,
because not all sound cards do hardware mixing), a "hw" device would
make it less CPU intensive but one wouldn't be able to access it
simultaneously on some (most?) cards and the Phonon, Gstreamer and the
like usually handle it so in the end it's unnoticeable from the CPU
usage perspective. ;)