[Slackbuilds-users] celestia 1.6.0 not building

1.41421 at gmail.com 1.41421 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 21:31:36 UTC 2010

I found what the problem is, and it has very little or nothing to do with
Slackbuilds, but I am going to describe it here in case somebody stumbles
on the same issue when attempting to install the Celestia package from
Slackbuilds.

I have Gnome 2.30 from GSB in my box. One of the few libraries that gets
replaced when installing Gnome 2.30 is gtk+2 - Slackware 13.1 ships version
2.18.9, and Gnome 2.30 replaces it with version 2.20.1. This library is
compiled with GTK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED #define'd, which results in a number
of macros not being #define'd in the final gtk+2 libraries. Two of such
macros (GTK_WIDGET_TOPLEVEL() and GTK_WIDGET_REALIZED()) are explicitly
used by the gtkglext library as built with the Slackbuild script for this
library. Ie gtkglext won't build under these circumstances. One can get
gktglext to build by removing the --enable-gtk-doc option used inside the
gtkglext.Slackbuild script.. However, when attempting to build Celestia
with the celestia.Slackbuild script after installing gtkglext built as
described, the same two undefined GTK symbols rear their heads again when
testing for jpeg_start() because the gtkglext library is used in such a
test - and this library is apparently still expecting to have access to
them. It's just that the error returned by the configure script in the
Celestia source code is a bit misleading, for libjpeg has nothing
whatsoever to do with the problem.

The good news is that the problem is easy to fix just by adding by hand
correct definitions of those two symbols to the gtkglext-1.2.0 source code
before building the libraries with gtkglext.Slackbuild. The correct
definitions can be copied from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtkwidget.h. With
this, Celestia with the gtk GUI builds and runs with no problems. I also
tried to build with the Gnome interface, but when launching Celestia I just
get a black window.