[Slackbuilds-users] Will there be a "current" branch in official SBo git repo?

Niels Horn niels.horn at gmail.com
Sat May 29 00:51:07 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 9:27 PM, Grissiom <chaos.proton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 12:32 AM, xgizzmo <xgizzmo at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I don't not speak for the whole admin staff. But I feel it is almost
>> pointless to try and maintain anything based on -current. You will
>> expend tons of time doing it, and run the risk of having everything
>> you worked on being undone by a single up date to -current. If we made
>> a -current repo then we would be forced into keeping it up to date
>> with -current, something I do not intend to do.
>

> Hmm, that's a good reason. For the seek of ease of maintain and stability, I
> agree with you.
> So it seems that I have to keep a stable release of Slackware to maintain my
> SlackBuilds, which will cancel out my desire to track -current.... ;(
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Grissiom

You can either:

1) run -current in a Virtual Machine

or

2) maintain clean stable Virtual Machines

I test all my SlackBuilds in clean VMs, both 32 & 64 bits.
Personally I use qemu-kvm with the -snapshot option, so that it always
returns in the same state when firing it up.
I keep sources and SlackBuilds on my "real" machine, with the
directory mounted r/o through nfs on the VMs.
It is fast and reliable.

The "clean" machines have the complete Slackware installation, with
http, php & mysql configured & running, but zero extra packages, so
that I discover all needed dependencies.

Niels