[Slackbuilds-users] Will there be a "current" branch in official SBo git repo?

/dev/rob0 rob0 at slackbuilds.org
Sat May 29 03:38:01 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 09:51:07PM -0300, Niels Horn wrote:
> On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 9:27 PM, Grissiom <chaos.proton at gmail.com>
> > On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 12:32 AM, xgizzmo <xgizzmo at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I don't not speak for the whole admin staff. But I feel it is
> >> almost pointless to try and maintain anything based on -current.
> >> You will expend tons of time doing it, and run the risk of
> >> having everything you worked on being undone by a single up date
> >> to -current. If we made a -current repo then we would be forced
> >> into keeping it up to date with -current, something I do not
> >> intend to do.
> >
> > Hmm, that's a good reason. For the seek of ease of maintain and
> > stability, I agree with you.
> > So it seems that I have to keep a stable release of Slackware to
> > maintain my SlackBuilds, which will cancel out my desire to track
> > -current.... ;(
>
> You can either:
>
> 1) run -current in a Virtual Machine
>
> or
>
> 2) maintain clean stable Virtual Machines

A virtual machine is overkill, generally. A chroot works well.
These are my bind-mounts:

cd /home/slackware-13.1 # where I have done a full install using
                        # installpkg -root /home/slackware-13.1
for MOUNT in proc proc/bus/usb sys tmp home ; do mount -v --bind \
/$MOUNT $MOUNT ; done
chroot .

You might not want/need /tmp and /home in that list, but I do. The
whole mess could be scripted with proper environment variables and
everything.

My main computer has an aging slamd64 install with a shiny newish
kernel. I'm using it to build some packages for my 32-bit netbook
which is running 13.1. In some cases there could be obscure bugs
occurring from the different kernels (I have a custom 2.6.31 rather
than a stock 13.1 kernel on here), but that's not likely, and
something that the SBo review process would probably find, if you
submitted a build tested in such a chroot.