[Slackbuilds-users] [uzbl-dev] Problem downloading gzipped tar files

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 12:48:36 UTC 2011

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 2:15 AM, Robby Workman <rworkman at slackbuilds.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Apr 2011 08:56:13 -0400
> Donald Allen <donaldcallen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 8:38 AM, Donald Allen <donaldcallen at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Robby --
>> >
>> > Below is a response from one of the uzbl developers to a message I
>> > sent them, which unfortunately is truncated in his response. The
>> > issue is that with the uzbl browser, which is built on top of
>> > webkitgtk, when I download slackbuild tar files, they get
>> > gunzipped, though the locally stored file is still named
>> > foo.tar.gz. As mentioned below, I do not see this behavior when
>> > downloading .tar.gz files from other sites, nor do I see it with
>> > Firefox. His message explains all this, including asserting that
>> > slackbuilds.org sending "Content-Encoding: gzip" is incorrect. If
>> > you agree that this is an error (in my experience, the uzbl guys
>> > know what they are talking about when it comes to browser matters,
>> > web protocols, etc.), please put fixing this on your to-do list.
>>
>> I just did a bit of reading on this and it's pretty clear that he's
>> right. "Content-Encoding: gzip" asks the browser to gunzip what the
>> server sends. Whatever Firefox is doing is a heuristic, a hack to
>> avoid uncompressing .tar.gz files even if the server says
>

> That sounds right; the problem is that RemoveEncoding (which I'm
> pretty sure works as expected on httpd-2.x) doesn't seem to do
> what I think it should on apache-1.x.
>
> Until/unless we either figure out the required magic, or upgrade
> to a later release of Slackware (which probably won't happen
> unless we get new hardware), wget or some other browser is my
> recommended solution :-)

The automated (make-based) thing I use to obtain packages from
slackbuilds.org uses wget, so except in oddball cases (such as
flash-plugin, which generates a slackware package with a version
number different than that in the .info file) where I need to do
things manually, it's not an issue. And now that I know what's going
on, I use firefox instead of uzbl in situations like that, so it's not
an operational problem for me. I just wanted to get it on your list
because others might trip over it. Too bad apache isn't cooperating --
thanks for trying.

/Don