[Slackbuilds-users] Slim

Niels Horn niels.horn at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 15:10:02 UTC 2011

On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 7:04 AM, Robby Workman <rworkman at slackbuilds.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Jul 2011 16:00:19 +0100
> José Lopes <biolizard.mail at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Shouldn't the Slim login manager use the system xinitrc instead of
>> the user's .xinitrc?
>>
>> If so, then the following line in slim.conf
>>      login_cmd           exec /bin/bash -login ~/.xinitrc %session
>>
>> must be replaced with
>>      login_cmd           exec /bin/bash -login /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
>> %session
>>
>> I feel that using the system xinitrc integrates better with the
>> system and users can resort to xwmconfig to change the X session
>> without having to manually edit their personal .xinitrc.
>>
>> However, if this is not the case, then I suggest adding the Slim
>> README file a reminder to create an xinitrc with "exec you_x_session".
>> Personally, it took me some time to figure out the problem, since
>> Slim just kept telling me "failed to execute login command".
>

> Here's a (late) followup on this (yes, I'm finally catching up on
> some of my email that I had flagged to investigate).  I haven't
> used slim in *ages* (since I concluded that it was largely a
> piece of bovine excrement), so I'm not sure, to be honest.  I'm
> CC'ing Niels (the maintainer, who also happens to be an SBo admin)
> in hopes that he'll have a better idea...
>
> -RW

José and all,

Lots of things can be said about slim. It's far from perfect and has
not seen updates for almost 18 months.
It is very lightweight though, compared to kdm, and a bit nicer to the
eyes than xdm.

I don't agree that slim should use system xinitrc, as that leaves the
user without options to change the theme, etc.
If you prefer to do so on your machine, it should be possible though.

About using different WMs, there is some more information about this
and other tricks in the slim wiki page from Arch:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SLiM

Have fun!

--
Niels Horn