[Slackbuilds-users] mumble and murmur

Ben Mendis dragonwisard at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 15:18:40 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 10:44 AM, King Beowulf <kingbeowulf at gmail.com>wrote:

> Ben,
> Well, heck yeah.  Usually the server and cleint are built on different
> boxes. But you don't have to since you can have a "build box" to
> compile stuff - mine's a pristine VM.  Either way, I point all my
> boxes to a NFS share with the SBo tree.
>
> I was thinking that it would be cleaner with one script: build client
> only by default, SERVER=yes to build server only, SERVER=both, etc.
>
> I wasn't thinking about it in terms of where the packages were built but
rather where they were installed. Having the server installed seems to be
completely independent from having the client installed on a particular
system. Furthermore, if I recall correctly the server and client have
different dependencies (even though we're not tracking them in our package
system). It seems to me like two mostly independent source trees for two
mostly independent applications that coincidentally happen to share the same
source tarball.

Furthermore, trying them together into the same package would impose the
requirement that the client and server match version numbers. It's possible
that someone might want to run a 1.1.x server (because other people using
their server are still using 1.1.x) but wants to install a 1.2.x client on
the same system (which includes a backwards-compatible client for 1.1.x
servers).

> Its just that I am old school from the days of small expensive hard
> drives. It bugs the hell out of me to have multiple copies of source
> files in my SBo tree.
>
> I guess I'm "new school" in that I just buy lots of cheap hard drives and
use the wonderful LVM and soft-RAID features of our modern Linux systems.

You could always store the source in one location and link to it.