[Slackbuilds-users] making a SlackBuild for golly

Glenn Becker burningc at SDF.ORG
Mon Dec 24 22:55:58 UTC 2012

Hi All --

First, best holiday wishes to one and all! whatever holiday you are
celebrating.

I am putting together a SlackBuild for the cellular automata explorer
(Conway's Game of Life and more) golly. There is already such a
program in SlackBuilds (gtklife), but I like this one & besides, am
trying to get better at package making.

I've run into a little issue. The package builds, installs, and runs
fine, but the program icon does not make it into the menu -- on xfce,
anyway. I'm guessing the various "appicon*.ico" files in the top level
of the program's source tree aren't being dealt with correctly, but I
am not sure *what* I should be doing with them ... it seems like this
is something that should be dealt with in a 'doinst.sh' script, but
beyond that guess I am kind of stuck.

I have been searching for a SlackBuild / doinst.sh that does something
like slinging *.ico files into their proper homes, but so far have not
found one.

Can anyone suggest a resource or a place where I might look for
direction on this?

Thanks,

Glenn

Glenn Becker - burningc at sdf.org