[Slackbuilds-users] RFC: qemu and aqemu

Niels Horn niels.horn at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 23:15:22 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 8:19 PM, Robby Workman <rworkman at slackbuilds.org> wrote:
> Yes, so use plain qemu for ARM and other architectures.
>
> My understanding is that the qemu-kvm codebase is optimized for
> *only* KVM usage, and thus some more generic optimizations (e.g.
> for ARM and other non-KVM architectures) may not be present,
> while the exact opposite is true of the regular qemu codebase.
> Therefore, the best approach would be to have only the "qemu-kvm"
> package installed if you only need virtualization (i.e. x86*),
> or install only the regular "qemu" package if you only need to
> work with non-KVM-enabled architectures (e.g. ARM), or install
> both packages if you need to do both.

Hmm... I use qemu-kvm for everything - both virtualization (x86 /
x86_64 running on Slackware64) and emulation (ARM).
"Normal" qemu might be optimized somewhat for ARM, but I prefer to
maintain only one qemu package on my system. :)

I actually use a customized version of qemu-kvm to work nicely with
pt-BR keyboards, but that's another story...

Never used aqemu - it's somewhere on my todo-list to check out - only
my own little shell scripts.

--
Niels Horn