[Slackbuilds-users] RFC: qemu and aqemu

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 00:30:56 UTC 2012

On 02/03/2012 03:15 PM, Niels Horn wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 8:19 PM, Robby Workman<rworkman at slackbuilds.org>  wrote:
>> Yes, so use plain qemu for ARM and other architectures.
>>
>> My understanding is that the qemu-kvm codebase is optimized for
>> *only* KVM usage, and thus some more generic optimizations (e.g.
>> for ARM and other non-KVM architectures) may not be present,
>> while the exact opposite is true of the regular qemu codebase.
>> Therefore, the best approach would be to have only the "qemu-kvm"
>> package installed if you only need virtualization (i.e. x86*),
>> or install only the regular "qemu" package if you only need to
>> work with non-KVM-enabled architectures (e.g. ARM), or install
>> both packages if you need to do both.
>>
> Hmm... I use qemu-kvm for everything - both virtualization (x86 /
> x86_64 running on Slackware64) and emulation (ARM).
> "Normal" qemu might be optimized somewhat for ARM, but I prefer to
> maintain only one qemu package on my system. :)
>
> I actually use a customized version of qemu-kvm to work nicely with
> pt-BR keyboards, but that's another story...
>
> Never used aqemu - it's somewhere on my todo-list to check out - only
> my own little shell scripts.
>
> --
> Niels Horn

qemu is 1.0 ???? Man, I need to to keep up.

aqemu is nice, switched to it from a myriad shell scripts when I started
to forget which script did what and was writing a "generic" script to
manage the VMs.  aqemu was easier for me to implement and keep track of
the main options.

I use kvm-amd module in the stock kernel.  I don't see much difference
on my Athlon64 X2 system and not much difference to Virtualbox
(excepting graphics acceleration). Although the current SBo readme for
qemu implies kqemu is needed, it is not as that functionality is already
built in as I understand from the docs.

-Ed