[Slackbuilds-users] RFC: qemu and aqemu

Stu Miller slackbuilds at ssmbox.net
Sun Feb 5 18:36:35 UTC 2012

On 03.02.2012 15:19, Robby Workman wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Feb 2012
22:55:49 +0100
wrote:

>> 2012/2/3 Robby Workman <rworkman at slackbuilds.org [1]>:
>>

>>> Yes, similar to that is what aqemu does. It looks for both "kvm"
and "qemu-kvm" binaries, hence my suggestion of linking it to "qemu-kvm"
in the script. Perhaps both is better...
>> I was missing that libvirt
looks also for qemu-kvm, in this case for me qemu-kvm is ok as well :)

> Okay, then the proposal is to only rename the binary.
> Stu, still
following this? :)

>>> Oh, I see. Good point. In other words, you
don't want to have to install the regular "qemu" package to get the
keymaps and such, as all you care about are x86* architectures.
>> Nono,
I am about to use it extensively with ARM ones :)

> But ARM doesn't
make use of KVM extensions, and that leads to...
> It's just that I
think that usually, between qemu-kvm and qemu, only one should be
needed, depending on the hardware on wh

>> es, so use plain qemu for
ARM and other architectures. My understanding is that the qemu-kvm
codebase is optimized for *only* KVM usage, and thus some more generic
optimizations (e.g. for ARM and other
> tectures) may not be present,
while the exact opposite is true of the regular qemu codebase.
Therefore, the best approach would be to have only the "qemu-kvm"
package installed if you only need virtualization (i.e. x86*), or
install only the regular "qemu" package if you only need to work with
non-KVM-enabled architectures (e.g. ARM), or install both packages if
you need to do both. I'm attaching a tarball of the result of all
discussion thus far. Note that it changes KVMGROUP to "users" by default
(as I suspect the most common usecase here is a single-user devel box)
and no longer offers the option of building "all" targets -- regular
qemu should be used for that. -RW

replacement package uploaded to
slackbuilds.org

changes to package:

 default group changed from kvm
to users

 default target changed to x86_64-softmmu

 target list
feature (e.g. build all targets) no longer in package

/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 binary renamed to /usr/bin/qemu-kvm (don't
forget to change your startup scripts!)

 README and qemu-SlackBuild
reference QEMU for non-x86 CPU targets

Links: