[Slackbuilds-users] .info Feature Requests

Klaatu klaatu at straightedgelinux.com
Thu Nov 15 20:07:09 UTC 2012

On Thursday, November 15, 2012 11:21:25 AM King Beowulf wrote:
> On 11/14/2012 10:04 PM, Chris Abela wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 6:01 AM, Robby Workman <rworkman at slackbuilds.org>
wrote:
> >> Off is the general direction in which you can fuck.
> >>
> >> ---snip---
> >> That is all.
> >
> > While I think that we could have done without the decorative nature of
> > the language contained in the mail above, I also would not like to see
> > the info file burdened with information of dubious importance.
> > Consider the originally requested LICENSE field. How shall we decide
> > what abides to what and under which definition and by which authority.
> > Writing SlackBuilds is fun because it is not very different from what
> > you would have wanted to to write for your own local system. Therefore
> > the process provides an efficient method on how users may contribute
> > to the "Slackware Experience" without having to go too much out of
> > their way. Let's keep it this way; fun.
>
> I can understand the crankiness (my bathroom remodel is taking ages)
> even though I don't quite agree with it: this list is after all for a
> discussion of SBo topics. If the admins don't agree  with a request a
> simple "NO" will suffice.
>
> That said, I see no reason to add licensing complexity to SBo.  Lets
> keep it simple and fun.
>
> -Ed

I do agree with RW here. SlackBuilds feels pretty feature-complete to me and
sometimes it's better to proclaim that That Which Is Not Broken Shall Not Be
Fixed.

I didn't always feel that way....  [cue flashback]

This past summer we all discussed adding the REQUIRES field to .info, and I
myself chimed in, saying that I could follow pre-determined conventions for
dependency listings. Turns out, I've come to regret that a little, as I find
it belabouring to cat both the .info and README files just to figure out what
a pkg needs in order to get installed.

I am not all that fond of change in my OS and related toolset. And SBo has
become a part of the core OS in my eyes. I'd be happy if we didn't hack on it
and complicate it.

- klaatu