[Slackbuilds-users] ESR Firefox & Thunderbird on SBo.org?

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 07:28:50 UTC 2012

On 11/27/2012 11:05 PM, Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yesterday I've started a poll on LQ.org about including ESR versions
> of Firefox and Thunderbird in Slackware. Someone suggested to contact
> SBo.org for eventual SlackBuilds for these two. I know it's SBo's
> policy not to include scripts that replace official Slackware
> packages. Maybe these two can figure as an exception? According to the
> poll, these two packages would be quite popular.
>
> If there's a chance to include these in SBo.org, one addition that
> would be really helpful would be corresponding localization packages.
>
> A few remarks.
>
> 1) Eating my own dog food here, been using ESR versions since 13.37.
> Here are the SlackBuilds :
>
> http://www.microlinux.fr/slackware/14.0/source/
>
> Take a peek at the mozilla-* directories
>
> 2) I know these scripts are not conforming to SBo's standards (no
> .info file, downloading is automatic, ...) but that could eventually
> be done.
>
> 3) So far I've installed ESR versions on a few dozen client desktops,
> and they work very nicely.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Niki

No idea how I missed the poll.....no doubt I was on some LQ rant ;-)

This may be worth serious consideration. Making ESR releases easiliy
availablewill search to stabiliize Slackware desktops in a corporate
setting.

 From personal experience, I have had issues with both my internal
company sites insidea VPN, and bank/credit card sites because the FF I
am running is "too new."  Spoofing the uersagent get tedious.  And for
the company I work for I had to *shudder* downgrade to WinXP/IE6 to
access internal sites.  ack.