[Slackbuilds-users] RFC: changing .SlackBuild to allow separate source tree

David Woodfall dave at dawoodfall.net
Wed Aug 7 07:29:47 UTC 2013

On Tue, 6 Aug 2013 23:20:23 -0400
B Watson <yalhcru at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/6/13, slackbuilds at jq.oc9.com <slackbuilds at jq.oc9.com> wrote:
> > What about the md5 sums ? I noticed that I do not need to update
> > them so what kind of install/build script uses them?
>
> sbopkg uses them, so does sbotools. People manually running SlackBuild
> scripts should use them, and I'm sure I'm not the only one here who
> wrote my own slackbuild automater script that uses them...
>
> As it stands now, the .SlackBuild scripts themselves don't check the
> md5sums. If we're voting, I vote to keep it that way.

I agree with that. They are there for a good reason, and that is for
the maintainer to check. Also I don't think it's a good idea to add
unnecessary things like SRCDIR to the .infos. They should be
independent of any local settings that a person may want to set and are
there for information.

Although it seems like a good idea to add a MYSRC to the slackbuild,
you could just as well do a ln -s /where/the/source/is/source.tar.xz .
and then run the slackbuild.

Either way you're typing extra bumf. It's seems much easier to me and
do a 'source *info && wget $DOWNLOAD'

Just my two pennies worth.

D.