[Slackbuilds-users] submit fail

Erik Hanson erik at slackbuilds.org
Sat Feb 15 22:45:47 UTC 2014

On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 17:20:05 -0500
B Watson <yalhcru at gmail.com> wrote:

> It turned out to be because I left a 500Kbyte .jpg file in the tarball
> (it's one of the source files listed in the .info, I forgot to rm it
> because it didn't fit my mental 'this is a source file' pattern, being
> a jpeg).
>
> Still not sure whether it was a simple "file too big", or if the server's
> smart enough to parse the .info file, look at the filenames of the
> downloads, and if they're in the tarball, rejects it...

Submissions over 1MB are rejected with a specific "File size too large"
error. If I had to guess, maybe the permissions on the now-missing jpeg file
had something to do with it. However, without the original tarball the true
issue will forever remain a mystery.

> Either way, it would help immensely if the server would actually give
> a reason instead of a generic 'there was a problem' that just leaves us
> scratching our heads.

Believe me, I've looked into it a few times in the past and it's not worth
the effort to rewrite old code to catch a few fringe cases. Maybe someday,
when there's an abundance of free time. In the meantime, I did change the
generic error to at least request people attach the tarball when reporting
the issue, because without it we can't know what's going on.

--
Erik Hanson