[Slackbuilds-users] REQUIRES="%README%"

J j at dawnrazor.net
Sat Mar 8 22:41:23 UTC 2014

I agree with the concept that the README is required reading always.
if the user skips that step, the user should expect a SlackBuild to
fail, or count him or her self lucky if it works. For this reason
%README% in REQUIRES does not seem to make much sense.

it also does not serve a purpose as a way to stop automation tools
since the choice of what to do with it is not that of the REQUIRES
contents or the SBo's author or anything other than the automation
tool in question.

incidentally sbotools used to do something with this information...
prompt the user or just stop or such if %README% was encountered,
regardless of the presence or absence of other entries in REQUIRES.
but at some point this was unintentionally changed and the test cases
are unfortunately not complete so the change was not caught... and so
we just drop the %README% bit on the floor and forget about it. I'm
not going to fix it because I think this is the right thing to do
anyway, as indicated above; read the README or expect failure.

I vote for removal.