[Slackbuilds-users] Texlive-20130530 Build Errors

Jim Diamond Jim.Diamond at acadiau.ca
Fri Mar 21 10:27:07 UTC 2014

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 02:03 (-0400), B Watson wrote:

> On 3/20/14, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>> Attached as a gzipped file. The copy sent to the mail list is awaiting
>> moderator approval because of size.

> Wow. It's 1.3GB installed. I see lots of huge files, but they look
> plausible, fonts and documentation and such. I was thinking maybe there
> was a core dump in there (but Slackware doesn't do core dumps unless
> you enable it yourself).

> Someone who actually knows texlive: Is it really supposed to be that big?

I have a mostly-full TL 2013 installation on my computer which is 3.2G.
That includes only a small amount of the non-English stuff and about
370MB of backups (from TL updates).

So, yeah, 1.3 GB is fairly minimal.

> You said you hit ^C after waiting 44 minutes for installpkg...
?!  You could do an on-line install of the whole thing in that time
(with a fast network connection).

> if you have a slow CPU and/or not much RAM, it makes sense it'd take
> forever to install... it might also be the case that it runs too
> slow to be useful, once you get it installed (I don't know much
> about tex or texlive though).
It's nice to run TeX on a fast machine, but TeX hasn't suffered (much,
long story) from the bloatware syndrome, and people happily used it on
computers that would be ludicrously slow compared to the slowest
"PC" computers available today.

I might not want to run TeX on a Raspberry Pi, but a patient person
could.

Cheers.

                                Jim